I would consider this a paid, structured adventure – not a job. From the 24th September to 19th November.
But it’s so special I thought I would put it in to a blog post. Over the years we have had Jobbers help out with many great causes including volunteering at Pine Creek School in the NT and Peta Burton’s amazing walk from Cairns to Cape York to raise money for the National Breast Cancer Foundation and Breast Cancer Network Australia.
Well today I found out about Alice Verrall.
And she is equally amazing and needs your help.
Alice has cerebral palsy and is embarking on an adventure to raise funds for Assistance Dogs Australia. She is young, capable, intelligent and has her own companion dog, Kooper who she thanks Assistance Dogs Australia for.
So she is going on a fundraising trip across southern Australia (see itinerary below) to raise awareness and funds.
And what a trip!
The first night in Apollo Bay, Victoria. Along the south coast, across the Nullarbor, around Perth and Rottnest Island and even a trip to Christmas Island!
She wants someone (you?) to go with her to assist in all areas. Hopefully you will have a motorhome or caravan as well.
Her contacts are below.
Here is the complete information:
Disability Carer for Hiking and Trike Riding Fundraiser
Alice’s Hikes and Trikes for Assistance Dogs Australia
A Carer to assist 27-year-old Alice with Cerebral Palsy (mobile).
Mentally capable, very intelligent. Needs assistance to travel, hike and trike ride throughout the university holidays.
The primary aim of this fundraising trip is to raise money for Assistance Dogs Australia. Alice rides a recumbent Cro Mo Magnum Trike and is currently studying a Bachelor of Science (Wildlife and Conservation Biology) at La Trobe University.
This trip is attempting to bring together her passion for nature, hiking through National Parks and trike riding along rail trails and raising money for Assistance Dogs Australia, who she wishes to thank for her companion dog Kooper. http://www.facebook.com/aliceshikesandtrikes
Key Selection Criteria:
− Must be Female and over 25
− Current driver’s license and a vehicle suitable to take on the trip. A caravan would also be great.
− You must be enthusiastic, quick to learn.
− Must be a good communicator
− Excellent problem solver.
− Must be well presented, compassionate and respectful as well as patient and have a genuine interest in supporting young people with a Physical disability.
− Able to build rapport quickly with Alice. (I suggest you giver a call).
− You must have a friendly positive attitude for this position and life and enjoy the company of people with a physical disability. You must be honest and reliable.
This is a great opportunity if you enjoy working with young people with a disability and like a challenge, enjoy the outdoors and seeing success for the individual.
Duties will include:
• Fold/unfold the client’s trike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm6wLCk6JL8
• Changing trike tire and repairing tube
• Set up/pack up camp/tent
• Preparing meals and cutting up food as client eats with a spoon
• Physical assistance when hiking with client
• Turning shower taps on (adjusting water temperature)
• Support with fundraising and local media for Assistance Dogs Australia
Contact Alice direct
Mobile: 0400 038 714
Home: (03) 9719 7318
Spring 2017 South Coast
Hike, trike ride and fundraise as much as possible
• Stay 2 nights at Apollo Bay Holiday Park $30 per night (3h)
• 27 Cawood Street, Apollo Bay, 3233
• See Lake Elizabeth on a Otways eco tours dusk $85 pick up from Forrest (40mins)
• Visit Cape Otway Light station (1h)
• See Loch Ard Gorge (1h 30mins)
• Stay 1 night at Warrnambool Beach Backpackers (1h)
o 17 Stanley St, Warrnambool VIC 3280
• Visit Tower Hill, Warnabool (10mins)
• Stay 2 nights at Big4 Port Fairy Holiday Park (10mins)
o 115 Princes Highway, Port Fairy, Victoria 3284
• Visit Mount Eccles National Park, Macarthur (1h)
• Stay 4 nights at Grampians Paradise Camping and Caravan Parkland (2h)
o 443 Long Gully Road, Pomonal
• Visit Halls Gap Zoo (15mins)
• Visit Lake Wartook (45mins)
• Hike Mt William (45mins)
• Stay 3 nights at Victor Harbor Beachfront Holiday Park (6h)
• 114 Victoria Street, Victor Harbor SA 5211
• Do the Spirit of the Coorong Adventure Cruise 10am (20mins)
• Main Wharf Goolwa SA 5214
• Stay 1 night at Cape Jervis Accommodation & Caravan Park (1h)
• 9351 Main South Rd, Cape Jervis 5204
• Kangaroo Island
• 10am Sealink ferry (5mins)
• See the Little Sahara (1h)
• Stay 3 nights at Western KI Caravan Park (30mins)
o 7928 S Coast Rd, Karatta SA 5223
• See the seals (45mins)
o Tour times: 9.00am, 9.45am, 10.30am, 11.15am, 12.15pm, 1.00pm, 1.45pm, 2.30pm, 3.15pm, 4.00pm
• Explore Flinders Chase National Park (10mins)
o Remarkable Rocks
• Stay 1 night at Kangaroo Island Hostel (1h)
• 19 Murray Street, Kingscote, South Australia 5223
• Stay 1 night at Kangaroo Island Backpackers (40mins)
o 43 North Terrace, Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
• 10:30 Sealink ferry (5mins)
• Stay 1 night at the Adelaide YHA (2h 30mins)
o 135 Waymouth St, Adelaide SA 5000
• Go to the Central Adelaide Market (5mins)
o 44-60 Gouger Street, Adelaide SA 5000
• Visit the Mount Lofty Botanic Garden (30mins)
• Visit Hahndorf (15mins)
• Stay 3 nights at Discovery Holiday Parks – Barossa Valley (1h)
o Barossa Valley Way Tanunda South Australia 5352
• Stay 2 nights at Discovery Parks – Port Augusta (3h)
• Cnr Highway One & Stokes Terrace Port Augusta SA
• See the Australian Arid Lands Botanic Gardens (15mins)
• 144 Stuart Highway, Port Augusta, South Australia
• Stay 2 nights at Port Lincoln Tourist Park (3h)
• 11 Hindmarsh St, Port Lincoln SA 5606
• Stay 2 nights at Ceduna Foreshore Caravan Park (4h)
• 25 Poynton Street, Ceduna, South Australia 5690
• See the Bunda Cliffs (2h)
• Stay 1 at the Nullarbor Roadhouse (4h)
o Eyre Highway, Nullarbor, South Australia, 5690, Australia
• Stay 1 night at Border Village Roadhouse (4h)
• Eyre Highway, 6443 Eucla
• Stay 1 night at Cocklebiddy Caravan Park (3h)
• Eyre Hwy, Cocklebiddy
• See Cocklebiddy Cave (30mins)
o Cocklebiddy-Rawlinna Rd, Cocklebiddy WA 6443
• Stay 2 nights at Fraser Range Station (3h)
o Eyre Hwy, Norseman WA 6443
• Stay 2 nights at The Esperance Seafront Caravan Park (2h 10mins)
o Goldfields Road, Esperance 6450, Western Australia
• Explore Cape Le Grand National Park (1h)
• Explore Fitzgerald National Park (2h)
• Stay 2 nights at the Wave Rock Caravan Park (2h 20mins)
o 1 Wave Rock Rd, Hyden, Western Australia 6359
• See Wave Rock and Hippo’s Yawn
• Stay 2 nights at Albany Holiday Park (5h)
• 550 Albany Hwy, Albany, WA 6330
• Stay 2 nights at Peaceful Bay Caravan Park (1h)
• East Ave, Peaceful Bay WA 6333
• Go to the Valley of the Giants Tree Top Walk (20mins)
• Valley of The Giants Road (Walpole Nornalup National Park), Nornalup, WA 6333
• Stay 3 nights at Margaret River Tourist Park (3h)
• 44 Station Road, Margaret River WA 6285
• See the Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse (50mins)
o Cape Naturaliste Road, Dunsborough WA 6281
• Stay at 2 nights at Fremantle Prison YHA (3h)
o 6A The Terrace, Fremantle, WA 6160
• Go to Rottness Island
o 10:00am ferry from Northport Fremantle 3:55pm back
• Stay 4 nights in Perth with a friend (30mins)
• Explore the Perth Hills
• Go to Perth Zoo
o 20 Labouchere Rd, South Perth WA 6151
• See Kings Park/Botanic Gardens
• Fly to Christmas Island Virgin Australia Perth 1:00 Christmas Island 3:50
• Stay 4 nights at Captains Lookout
o 3/55 Gaze Rd, Settlement, Christmas Island
• Fly Vigin Australia Christmas Island 12:50pm Perth 5:25pm
• Fly Vigin Australia home Perth 12:05pm Melbourne 6:40pm
Contact Alice direct
Mobile: 0400 038 714
Home: (03) 9719 7318